Losing patient data would be a huge detriment to your business and may negatively impact patient care. The secret to prevent losing your data: running regular and complete backups – including storing them offsite.
Ways clinic data can be compromised:
- Keep your server and your backups in a secure location.
2. Hardware Issues
- Ensure your server is properly maintained.
- Maintain and test any external hardware.
- Protect vulnerabilities by updating your operating system regularly.
- Remove any software you do not use.
- Watch for malicious emails.
- Use strong passwords and password managers.
- Make sure you are using recommended anti-virus programs and that you update them regularly.
- Keep a copy of updated backups offsite.
Who is responsible for backups?
- As the custodians of the patient charts, clinic owners are responsible for ensuring regular and effective backups are being completed.
- Visual-Eyes does not automatically backup your data for you.
We recommend contacting your IT specialist to perform a test of restoring your data from a current backup. This will give you peace of mind that should a server issue occur, we are able to get you back up and running with minimal downtime and information loss.
Check out our Backup Reference Guide on what should be backed up and different backup methods. Please contact [email protected] if you have any questions.